Chiusa di Casalecchio
Thanks to a system of canals, it has always provided the city of Bologna and the surrounding plains with the power needed to develop the local economy, to preserve the city against floods and to contribute to the wellbeing of its inhabitants.
The construction of the Chiusa was financed by the Municipality of Bologna in order to provide the mills and factories of the medieval city with the power as well as to create a system of water canals that transported the Bolognese products to international markets.
A dense network of canals turned Bologna into a “City of Water” as well as a European center for the production of silk veils.
Although it had been rebuilt several times, the Chiusa could not resist the floods. In 1567, Pope Pius V ordered its reconstruction and imposed its maintenance on those who benefited from water. The Chiusa was built on a project by Vignola (Jacopo Barozzi) in 1208.
On December 28, 2010 the Chiusa became part of the Unesco World Heritage for a Culture of Peace in favour of Young People with the following motivation: "Water is the source of life: preserving it and sharing it with others is a source of peace”.
Panoramic views of the Chiusa can be enjoyed from the green area of Prè Znein (Pracinino) or from the pedestrian path Card. Egano Righi Lambertini that connects the central Piazza dei Caduti to the Lido of Casalecchio flanking the River Reno.